I once had this salad, or a version of it, in a vietnamese restaurant in Bangkok, run by a CIA-employed lady. How’s that for a dinner memory?
Regardless of who she worked for the food was great, so I had to recreate it when I got back home. Since then I’ve made a number of version of it. This is one.
If you want to turn it into a more substantial meal - add tiger prawns or strips of fried, marinated beef.
- Peel the pomelo and start to take the flesh out of the segments. Divide the flesh into small parts using your hands. Don’t squeeze the juice out of them or the salad will turn into a mush.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into small wedges, cut the cucumber and mango into small pieces.
- Rip the lettuce into pieces and mix it with the pomelo, cucumber, mangos and tomatoes.
- Finally dice the avocado into cubes and mix it into the salad without mashing them.
- Add finely sliced spring onion, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Sprinkle cashews on top.
- Spread the grated or sliced cheese on a tortilla.
- Sprinkle the sliced red chillies over and top with another tortilla
- Fry the quesadilla in some oil on medium heat until it turns golden and the cheese has melted.
- Divide it into six pieces and serve with the salad